GLOBE Dual Language Immersion
Elkin City Schools' Global Learning Opportunities for Bilingual Education (GLOBE) Dual Language Immersion program is available to rising kindergarten students. At this age, children have a tremendous ability to understand and learn a language other than their first language. Our program uses a full immersion model where all classroom instruction is delivered in Spanish. Our goal is that students become bilingual and bi-literate while gaining an appreciation for multiculturalism.
GLOBE Dual Language Immersion Program Goals:
- Students will develop high levels of proficiency in their primary language and a second language (English and Spanish).
- Students will demonstrate positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors.
- Students are held to the same high academic standards as all Elkin Elementary School students.
- Both English proficient and non-native English-speaking students are placed in the same classroom to promote bilingualism, biliteracy, and multiculturalism.
- Students begin the program in kindergarten and continue with the same class through the sixth grade.
- Dual language opportunities will continue throughout middle and high school.
- The classroom will be composed of both native English and native Spanish speaking students.
- Classroom instruction will be delivered by a native Spanish speaking certified teacher.
Student Application and Selection:
The Elkin City Schools’ GLOBE Dual Language Immersion program is elective and utilizes a lottery process for admittance.